Or as you may know it, bird-watching? It’s a lovely pursuit: brings you closer to nature, gets you some low-stress exercise, puts you in a warm community of people who share your interest. Here are some simple rules to help you get started.
Things you will need:
- Spotting Scope
- Two or three forms of ID *
- Field Guide
Some do’s and don’ts:
- Be quiet, and keep some distance. You’re trying not to scare or stress the birds.
- Never wear a hoodie. *
- Keep a list of birds you have seen.
- Be very careful birding at dawn or nightfall (“crepuscular hours,” to birders). You may be seen as a threat. *
- Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.
- Expect to be confused with the other birder like you. *